For Relaxation and Relief from Pain
Therapeutic massage, the oldest form of healing in all cultures, makes an important contribution to physical and mental well-being and wholeness. Therapeutic massage relieves pain, enhances energy, increases flexibility, and helps integrate mind, body, form and function.
Burroughs, author of Alternative Healing, has stated that “the physical, mental, and emotional benefits of massage therapy are well documented, yet in the United States it would be more likely for a doctor to prescribe a bottle of tranquilizers rather than five therapeutic massages.”
Our therapists treat job and sports related injuries, post-accident pain and discomfort, and stress-related disorders. They provide mind/body relaxation using deep tissue massage, stretching techniques, Swedish massage, and sports massage.
Touch & the Art of Healing
Massage therapists utilize touch for both structural assessment and in an attempt to eliminate “blockages” throughout the body. These “blockages”, based on the concept of Polarity, are interruptions in body energies that can lead to imbalance and immune system dysfunction. The therapist strives to balance the energies of each individual, since according to Dr. Randolph Stone, “Energy is the real substance behind the appearance of matter and forms”, therefore, by eliminating blockages balance is restored and the person can relax.
What can massage really do?
- Deep relaxation and stress reduction
- Relief of muscle tension and stiffness
- Reduced muscle spasm
- Relief from entrapment of nerves in muscle
- Greater joint flexibility and range of motion
- Increased ease and efficiency of movement
- Promoted deeper and easier breathing
- Better circulation of both blood and lymph fluids
- Reduced blood pressure
- Relief of tension-related or eye-strain headaches
- Healthier, better nourished skin
- Improved posture
- Faster healing from pulled muscles and sprained ligaments
- Reduces pain, swelling, and formation of scar tissue following injury
- General health maintenance
- Relaxed state of alertness
- Reduced mental stress: a calmer mind
- Greater ability to monitor stress signals and respond appropriately
- Increased capability for clearer thinking
- Feeling of well-being
- Reduced levels of anxiety
- Increased awareness of mind-body connection
- Enhanced self image
- A sense of being unified and in harmony
|Therapeutic massage provides many health benefits. It is a natural body-mind therapy. All of our massage therapists are licensed by the state of Connecticut as professional members of the American Massage Therapy Association. They specialize in a wide range of techniques, including Swedish, cross fiber, effleurage, accupressure and sports massage. As an integral part of our health care team, they are particularly skilled in treating both physical injuries and stress-related disorders.|
National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine...
American Massage Therapy Association...
Learning About Massage Therapy...
National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork...